CAZA Awards Submission Guidelines
The deadline for all applications for awards to be submitted to the national office is August 15th. Due to time constraints in processing the applications and identifying the winners, there will be no extensions granted.
Please submit applications directly to Ashley McArthur at email@example.com.
The Thomas R. Baines award is the most prestigious recognition granted by the Association. This award recognizes outstanding achievement by an accredited institutional member in exhibit design, animal husbandry, education or for other significant contributions to the zoo and aquarium field.
- 2016 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Amur Cat Project
- 2015 Assiniboine Park Zoo – Journey to Churchill Exhibit
- 2014 African Lion Safari – Artificial Reproduction
- 2013 Granby Zoo – South Pacific Odyssey Pavilion
- 2012 Edmonton Valley Zoo – Arctic Shores
- 2011 Ecomuseum Zoo – Research and Conservation of Reptiles and Amphibians
- 2010 Assiniboine Park Zoo – Pavilion of the Lions
- 2009 Toronto Zoo – Tundra Trek Program
- 2008 African Lion Safari – Cheetah Program
- 2007 Vancouver Aquarium – Aquaquest, The Marilyn Blusson Learning Centre
- 2006 African Lion Safari – Asian Elephant Program
This award recognizes outstanding achievement by an institutional member in exhibit design, animal husbandry, education or for other significant contributions to the zoo and aquarium field. The focus of this award will be on recognizing projects of a smaller scope or budget.
- 2016 Edmonton Valley Zoo – 100 Voices
- 2015 Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo – Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo’s Mobile Zoo Exhibits
- 2014 Zoo Sauvage De Saint-Félicien – Amur Tiger Habitat
- 2013 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Keeper Camp
- 2011 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Education Program
- 2010 Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park and Zoo – Zoo School Education Program
- 2009 Biodôme De Montréal – Temporary Habitat Project
This award recognizes achievement in the field of conservation by CAZA member institutions or individual members in good standing. Applications are encouraged for projects in the fields of conservation education, “green” operations, habitat preservation, species restoration or support for biodiversity.
- 2016 Toronto Zoo – Giant Panda Conservation
- 2015 Greater Vancouver Zoo – Western Painted Turtle Recovery Program
- 2014 Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo Ottawa – Green Initiatives Program
- 2013 Zoo Sauvage De Saint-Félicien – Short Eared Owl Inventory in Saguenay Lac St Jean
- 2011 Vancouver Aquarium – Ex Situ Propogation of the Endangered Oregon Spotted Frog
- 2010 Aquarium du Quebec – Evitons Leur Disparitions
- 2009 Riverview Park and Zoo – Kawartha Turtle Trauma Centre
- 2008 Mountain View Conservation Society – Northern Spotted Owl Captive Breeding Program
- 2007 Zoo de Granby
- 2006 Vancouver Island Marmot
This award recognizes achievement in propagation and management programs in the animal collection of a member Zoo or Aquarium that contributes to the long-term survival of at-risk animal species or populations.
- 2016 Aquarium du Quebec – For the successful breeding of walruses in human care
- 2015 Vancouver Aquarium -The Rescue and Rehabilitation of Stranded Cetaceans in Canada
- 2014 Zoo de Granby- Spiny Softshell Turtle
- 2013 Vancouver Aquarium- Northern Leopard Frog
- 2011 Magnetic Hill Zoo- Piping Plover Project
- 2009 Toronto Zoo and Calgary Zoo- Black Footed Ferret
This award recognizes creativity of design and implementation of initiatives that foster enrichment for the animals in the collection of a member Zoo or Aquarium. The award recognizes projects that create a positive environment that compliments the species’ physical, mental and social needs, while maintaining an environment that reflects their natural environment.
- 2015 Ecomuseum Zoo – Mystery of the Forest – the Fisher Habitat
- 2014 Zoo de Granby
- 2013 Edmonton Valley Zoo – Enrichment Garden
- 2011 Aquarium du Quebec – Programme D’Enrichissement des Pieuvres
- 2010 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Jaguar Junction
- 2009 Zoo Sauvage De Saint-Félicien – Amur Tiger Exhibit
- 2008 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Cougar Country Exhibit
- 2007 Edmonton Valley Zoo
- 2006 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Pridelands
This award recognizes innovation and significant contribution to the zoo and aquarium field by permanent staff employed at a CAZA institutional member.
- 2016 Calgary Zoo – Charles “Rick” Wenman
- 2015 Parc Safari – Richard Mireault
- 2014 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Cathy Simon
- 2013 Bowmanville Zoo – Robert Crawford
- 2012 Edmonton Valley Zoo – Sandy Helliker
- 2011 Magnetic Hill Zoo – James Carson
- 2010 Zoo Sauvage De Saint-Félicien – Mailis Caron
- 2009 Magnetic Hill Zoo – Bernard Gallant
This award will recognize the valuable short or long term contribution a volunteer has made to a member Institution of CAZA. Eligibility – Volunteers, or groups of volunteers, who support the efforts of CAZA institutional members and have not won the award in the past.
- 2016 Toronto Zoo – Lynn Wylie
- 2013 Vancouver Aquarium – Nikki Clouthier
- 2012 Edmonton Valley Zoo – Barb Chapman
- 2011 Toronto Zoo – Annette Simms
- 2010 Calgary Zoo – Cedric Stapleton
- 2009 Edmonton Valley Zoo – Mark Smith
- 2006 Assiniboine Park Zoo – Darlene Stack